Street Legal Information

for Off Highway Vehicles (OHV)


Arizona (AZ)

Off-Highway Vehicle Laws, Rules and Regulations


Street Legal Information

Here is the street legal information for Arizona (AZ).  The Arizona Department of Transportation (DOT) Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) is responsible for title and registration of motor vehicles in Arizona.  First of all, title and registration are two different things.  Secondly, a title is proof of ownership, while registration allows you to operate a vehicle on public roads.  In addition for title purposes, ATVs, UTVs & ROVs are classified as off-road recreational motor vehicles.  Finally a title is required for ATVs, UTVs & ROVs.

If the driver of an off-road vehicle intends to drive on Arizona streets or highways, the vehicle must be properly registered.  Subsequently an ATV, UTV or ROV must be street legal before registration can be issued.  For instance, some ATVs, UTVs & ROVs may require additional equipment or modifications in order to meet this requirement.


Street Legal Information Equipment Requirements

What equipment is required to make my OHV street legal?  In order to register an OHV in Arizona, it must have the following equipment:

  • At least one brake which can be operated by hand or foot.
  • Brake light.
  • At least one, but not more than two, headlights which shine at least 500 feet ahead.
  • A Horn audible from a distance of at least 200 feet or 120 db.
  • At least one taillight visible for at least 500 feet to the rear.
  • At least one red rear reflector, if not part of the taillight.
  • License plate with light securely fastened to the rear of the OHV.
  • A muffler in good working order and in constant operation (muffler cutout, bypass or similar device prohibited).
  • Rear view mirror.
  • Seat and footrests for the operator.
  • Fuel tank cap.
  • If you live in Phoenix or Tucson metro areas you may also need to have your OHV emissions tested.

You can get the entire brochure put out by the Arizona Game and Fish Department on their website at  In addition, search Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Laws, Rules and Regulations.

There are numerous opportunities for OHV recreation in Arizona.  Furthermore local land management agencies have information and maps available.   Certainly contact the local land management agencies for updated information on access, closures, rules and regulations, prior to planning activities.

Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Decal

street legal information


Street Legal Information OHV Decal

A coalition of state agencies has agreed on a price for the new Arizona off-highway vehicle (OHV) decal.  The Arizona OHV Decal will cost $25 and will be issued annually.  In addition this will be done through the Arizona Department of Transportation, Motor Vehicle Division (MVD).  Meanwhile revenues from the decal will help better manage Arizona’s exploding OHV use and help protect natural resources.

The Arizona OHV Decal is a part of the new OHV laws taking effect January 1, 2009.  The laws will require the purchase of the decal for any OHV.  That is to say, any designed by a manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain and weighing 1,800 pounds or less.  After January 1, 2009 title and registration services and decals will be available at MVD offices.  Beginning January 1, 2009 owners whose OHVs are currently titled or registered in Arizona may purchase the decal online at:  Consequently the new laws also contain other provisions about titling, registration, equipment, and responsible operation.

Purchase of the decal is a “user-play, user-pay” fee.  Revenues from purchasing the decal will be used in many ways to benefit Arizona OHV users.  First of all, this will bolster the State Parks grant program.  Secondly, it is used for damage mitigation, trail construction, habitat restoration and various other programs.  Thirdly, Game and Fish will use funds to hire new law enforcement officers specifically for OHV enforcement.  It is also creating new OHV education classes that can be taken by OHV users.  These maybe court ordered for those found in violation of OHV laws.  Finally, state land will use a portion of the funds for law enforcement, habitat restoration and access across state trust lands.


Street Legal Information Registration Information

For more information about title and registration of OHVs.  Hence, visit the Arizona Department of Transportation, Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) at:

To purchase an off-highway vehicle decal for an OHV that has an Arizona title or registration.  Hence, visit the website at:


Idaho (ID)

 Off Highway Vehicle Use on City and County Roads


Street Legal Information

Here is the street legal information for Idaho (ID).  Check with your local jurisdiction for information on roads open to OHV use.  In addition, the following requirements must be met on city, county, and highway roads.

  • Valid restricted vehicle license plate [IC 49-402 (4)]
  • Valid IDPR OHV registration sticker affixed to restricted vehicle license plate (IC 67-7122)
  • Up to date driver’s license (IC 49-301)
  • Liability insurance or alternative insurance (IC 49-1223 or IC 49-1232)
  • A helmet under age 18 (IC 49-666)
  • Muffler and U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrester. To clarify, your muffler has to pass 96db at the half-meter test, SAE J1287 (IC 67-7125)
  • Brake light
  • Headlight and taillight after dark/poor visibility
  • Horn audible at 200 feet (120 db+)
  • Mirror showing roadway 200 feet behind the OHV


Michigan (MI)

Department of State On-Road Equipment Inspection

Four Wheel Motor Vehicles


Street Legal Information

Here is the street legal information for Michigan (MI).  In the Michigan Department of State On-Road Equipment Inspection (PART 2) of Four-Wheel Motor Vehicles.  That is to say, some of the necessary equipment is required by the Michigan Vehicle Code.

  • Turn Signals (front and rear)
  • License Plate Light
  • Horn


New Hampshire (NH)

 Statute RSA 266:116

Equipment Required for Low-Speed Utility Vehicles


Street Legal Information

Here is the street legal information for New Hampshire (NH).  A low-speed utility vehicle as defined in RSA 259:108, II shall be equipped in accordance with 49 C.F.R. section 571.500.  To clarify this equipment shall include headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors and a parking brake.  In addition a rear view exterior mirror, a windshield, windshield wiper, brakes and seat belts.


Utah (UT)

Off Highway Vehicle Use on Public Highways


Street Legal Information

Here is the street legal information for Utah (UT).  Senate bill SB181S01 modifies the Insurance Code and the Motor Vehicles Code.  For instance by amending provisions governing the use of off-highway vehicles.  That is to say, specifically ATVs & UTV’s, on public highways.  Subsequently it creates by definition a new class of motor vehicles known as “Street-Legal All-terrain Vehicles”.  Also, know as Street-Legal ATVs & UTVs.  Similarly it defines the operational and equipment requirements for street-legal ATVs/UTVs.  Likewise it modifies the law as it relates to county and municipality authority.  In other words, designated highways under their respective jurisdictions for OHV use.  The Chief Sponsor of the bill was Senator Scott Jenkins, with Representative Michael Noel acting as the House sponsor.  As a result, the bill took effect on October 1, 2008.


Street Legal Information

All-terrain vehicles may be inspected provided they have been modified to be street legal.  Above all, they shall be equipped with the following items.  In addition, they shall comply with the regulations of the department (41-6a-1509).

  • One or more headlamps that meet the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1603.
  • One or more tail lamps.
  • A tail lamp or other lamp constructed and placed to illuminate the registration plate with a white light.
  • One or more red reflectors on the rear.
  • One or more stop lamps on the rear.
  • Amber or red electric turn signals, one on each side of the front and rear.
  • A braking system, other than a parking brake, that meets the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1623.
  • Horn or other warning device that meets the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1625.
  • A muffler and emission control system that meets the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1626.
  • Rear view mirrors on the right and left side of the driver in accordance with U.C.A. 41-6a-1627.  However, All-terrain Type I Vehicle requires only a left side mirror.  But, the Utility Type Vehicle requires both a left side and right side mirror.


More Requirements

  • A windshield, unless the operator wears eye protection while operating the vehicle.
  • A speedometer, illuminated for nighttime operations.
  • Vehicles designed by the manufacturer for carrying one or more passengers.  Also, a seat designed for passengers, including a footrest and handhold for each passenger.
  • Vehicles with side by side seating, seat belts for each vehicle occupant.
  • Must not be less than 30 inches in width or exceed 70 inches in width.
  • Drivers seat must not be less than 25 inches in height or exceed 40 inches in height.
  • The tire tread depth must be at least 2/32 inches or greater and the tires must not exceed 26 inches in height.  After that, they can not be larger than the ATV manufacturer made available for the ATV model.


Washington (WA)


Relating to regulating the use of off-road vehicle


Street Legal Information

Here is the street legal information for Washington (WA).  It is the intent of the legislature to, increase opportunities for safe, legal, and environmentally acceptable motorized recreation.  Secondly, decrease the amount of unlawful or environmentally harmful motorized recreation.  Also, generate funds for use in maintenance, signage, education, and enforcement of motorized recreation opportunities.  Furthermore, advance a culture of self-policing and abuse intolerance among motorized personal.  In addition, cause no change in the policies of any governmental agency with respect to public land.  Also, not change any current ORV usage routes as authorized in chapter 213, Laws of 2005.  Even more, stimulate rural economies by opening certain roadways by motorized personal.  In addition will stimulate economic activity on gasoline, lodging, food, drink, and other entertainment purposes.  Finally, require all wheeled all-terrain vehicles to obtain a metal tag.

Any wheeled all-terrain vehicle operated within this state must display a metal tag.  Likewise, the metal tag must be the same size as a motorcycle license plate and be installed to the rear of the all-terrain vehicle.


Street Legal Information

A person who operates an all-terrain vehicle must comply with the following equipment requirements.

  • Headlights meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.030 and 14 46.37.040.  Therefore used at all times when the vehicle is in motion upon a highway.
  • One tail lamp meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.525.  Meanwhile, used at all times when the vehicle is in motion upon a highway.  However, a utility-type vehicle, as described under RCW 46.09.310, must have two tail lamps.  Subsequently, meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.070(1).
  • A stop lamp meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.200.
  • Reflectors meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.060.
  • During hours of darkness, as defined in RCW 46.04.200, turn signals meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.200.  However, outside of hours of darkness, the operator must comply with RCW 46.37.200 or 46.61.310.


More Requirements

  • A mirror attached to either the right or left handlebar.  To clarify, must be located to give the operator a complete view of the highway.  Hence, for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of the vehicle.  However, a utility-type vehicle under RCW 46.09.310(19) must have two mirrors, meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.400.
  • Windshield meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.430, unless the operator wears glasses, goggles, or a face shield.  While operating the vehicle, of a type conforming to rules adopted by the Washington state patrol.
  • Horn or warning device meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.380.
  • Brakes in working order.
  • A spark arrester and muffling device meeting the requirements of RCW 46.09.470.
  • For utility-type vehicles, as described under RCW 46.09.310(19), seat belts meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.510.


Please let us know if you have any questions or need assistance, you can call us at (843) 725-8890 or send an e-mail to